Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksFAQs

​A request for co-sponsorship by ICES needs to be made at least one year ahead of the event. The request can be made directly to the ICES Secretariat or via the Head of Science Programme. The topic of the conference must be relevant for the ICES Strategic Plan. The final decision to co-sponsor a science symposium is made by ICES Science Committee (SCICOM).
​How do I get ICES co-sponsorship for a science symposium?
Go to the ICES website for more detailsSymposia
​Participation in ICES training courses is open to all, however, if we receive more applications than a course can accommodate, preference is given to applicants from ICES member countries and affiliate institutes. A fee is charged for all courses. ICES training courses are announced on the training homepage. To sign up, go to the site and fill in the application form.
​How do I join an ICES Training Course?
Read moreTraining
ICES presents two peer-nominated awards: Outstanding Achievement Award, and Prix d'Excellence. For details on how to nominate, the criteria for eligibility and the procedure go to the Awards site.
​How can I nominate a colleague for an ICES Award?
Go to the Awards siteAwards
Author guidelines and other relevant links can be found on the Aspiring Authors page. Guidelines specific to the ICES Journal of Marine Science are detailed on the IJMS page.
​​Where are the author guidelines for ICES publications?
Read morePublications
Cooperative Research Reports are the products of ICES Expert Groups. An overview of the process and other relevant details are found on the CRR page.
What is the process for creating a CRR?
Read morePublications
Submissions to the ICES Journal of Marine Science are handled by our external publisher, Oxford University Press. Authors are advised to read guidelines on the ICES Journal page carefully before submitting their work.
How do I submit a manuscript to the ICES Journal of Marine Science?
Go to the IJMS pagePublications
​You can register online on the conference website.
How do I register for the Annual Science Conference?
Go to registrationASC
Limited travel funds are available for early career scientists.
Does ICES offer travel funds for scientists attending the Annual Science Conference?
Go to the ASC siteASC
​Resolutions for new expert groups should be submitted through an ICES Expert Group or Steering Group. The submissions are then reviewed and approved by ACOM or SCICOM at their annual meeting(s) but can also be adopted intersessionally.
How do I propose a new Expert group/workshop?
Read more on the ICES websiteExpert groups
​Working group members are nominated by their national delegate or invited by the Chair of the working group. If you have relevant qualifications related to the work of a particular group and are interested in joining, you may contact ICES Secretariat at with the title of the group and an outline of your interest and qualifications in the field of study.
How can I join a working group?
Go to the ICES website for more informationExpert groups
​The dates of all ICES expert group meetings are listed in the ICES meeting calendar.
When is my expert group meeting?
View the meeting calendarExpert groups
​ICES welcomes observers to its activities and meetings. To apply for observer status please send an email with your name, affiliation, an outline of your aims and purposes as well as interest in ICES, and the name of the ICES meeting or activity you wish to observe to
How do I apply to become an ICES observer of the advisory process?
Go to the ICES website for more informationAdvisory process
​Poster boards, clips or fittings, and boxes for handouts.
What equipment is supplied for the poster I'm presenting at the ASC?
​You are welcome to bring handouts but it is not a request from our side.
Should I bring handouts for my poster at the ASC?
Go to the ASC website for more information.ASC
​Travel grants should be used as a contribution towards transportation, hotel and conference registration.
​What expenses do the travel grants cover?
Expert Group reports are located in our Library. Write the Expert Group acronym in the Search-field.  Then refine your search with the refinement panel on the left hand side: Choose “Expert Group Reports” as the publication type, then choose the year, and, the Expert Group acronym to narrow down your search.
How do I find Expert Group reports?
View tips and tricks on how to search the ICES websiteSearch
Advice is located in our Library. Choose “Advice” as the publication type from the refinement panel on the left side. Then choose the year, the species and the eco region you are looking for.
How do I find ICES Advice?
View tips and tricks on how to search the ICES websiteSearch
If you are looking for the latest advice, you can find a list of our latest advice at the Latest Advice page, where all advice from this and last year are listed.
How do I find latest Advice?
Find Latest Advice Search
You will find CM-documents directly in our library, or via “Our Publications” page.
How do I find ICES CM-documents?
Go to CM-documents page on the websiteSearch
You will find the ID Leaflets page under Our Publications.
How do I find Identification (ID) Leaflets?
ID LeafletsSearch
If you cannot find the document you are looking for, contact the ICES Librarian for assistance.
I can’t find the documents I am looking for?
Contact ICES librarianSearch
There are many ways to search. Go to the How to Search page to view tips and tricks.
How can I search items on the ICES website?
How to Search - tips and tricksSearch